Monday, November 21, 2005

Put "Christmas" Back in Merry Christmas

This year, I took a stand.

Instead of wimping out on my department’s corporate Christmas card with “Happy Holidays,” “Season’s Greetings,” or some other phrase designed to avoid using the word Christmas, the card now reads: “Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.”

I didn’t want to exclude non-Christians, or even pagan Democrats, so “Happy Holidays” is there as a nod to their beliefs. I presume that Jewish Americans will be equally inclusive, wishing people “Happy Hanukah and Season’s Greetings.” (Or is it “Chanukah”?) And Kwanza celebrants will surely want to embrace members of other ethnic groups with a general recognition of their traditions.

I suppose that atheists who still want to get in on the spirit of the times can send cards, if they send cards, with a Druidized “Welcome Winter Solstice” message. They aren’t very inclusive, so they probably won’t go beyond that.

But I’m saying “Merry Christmas.” I hope you will, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home