Monday, April 03, 2006

America Needs Blunt Reminders of 9/11

So, America isn’t ready for a movie about United Flight 93, the 9/11 jetliner whose passengers fought the hijackers, leading to the crash in a Pennsylvania field. It seems trailers for the new film were pulled after negative audience reactions since some believe the film comes “too soon” after the terrorist attacks.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12112802/site/newsweek/

My eldest daughter Julie was a flight attendant on United 93 up until a couple of weeks before that fateful day. She knew the entire crew, with the exception of the young woman flight attendant who took her place. When I watched the second plane, a United airliner, hit the second WTC tower, my first reaction was to call Julie, who was based in Newark. I got voicemail.

It wasn’t until later that day that we found out she was alive and well, grounded at a hotel in Southern California. The entire issue of the War on Terror for me is bound up in the certain knowledge as to just how close to the bone global terror is for all of us. I am 100 percent committed to getting not only the bastards who did this, but also all the states in the world who continue to aid and abet terrorism, regardless of whether they were directly involved in 9/11. I was and remain all for the campaigns in Afghanistan and Iraq. And I sincerely hope Iran is next. And Syria. And anyone else who thinks they can plot against my people and get away with it. That is also why I have such contempt for Democrats who view the most vital national security issue of our day, if not in our nation’s history as an opportunity to play politics. It is why I am so thoroughly disgusted with a dishonest national media that lies, distorts and only tells the side of the story that supports its own phony version of reality.

I communicate directly with soldiers and Marines, because I support them with e-mails and packages, unlike the leftists who claim to support the troops while doing everything they can to undermine their mission and discredit the military.

I haven’t seen the United Flight 93 film or the trailer, but I know that it is nowhere near too soon for us to be reminded of the evil that was committed on 9/11, the barbarous nature of the enemy we face and the absolute need we have to prevail in the War on Terror. If I had my way, television stations across America would show the actual footage of 9/11, with the planes hitting the buildings and the towers collapsing, three or four times a day, every day, 365 days a year. For those who don’t understand the stakes, I would make readily available the horrible footage of hostages getting their heads sawed off by Islamic terrorists (I have not watched this footage, because I don’t need to; I know exactly what we are up against).

The biggest mistake our nation has made in the aftermath of 9/11 is not Iraq, or the war plans for that campaign, or the post-victory strategy. The biggest mistake we made was in sweeping the images of 9/11 under the rug, so as not to traumatize our delicate sensibilities. We need to be reminded, as graphically as possible, the cost of appeasement or inaction or restraint in what ought to be an all-out, vengeful, bloody attack on terrorists the world over and their state sponsors.

1 Comments:

At 2:31 PM, Blogger Matt said...

GREAT POST, SHANE!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home